Microneedling works by creating a series of hundreds of microscopic channels into the dermis to stimulate the skin’s natural wound healing process. The micro-injuries trigger the release of cytokines and growth factors that lead to remodeling of collagen and elastin, helping skin to look and feel healthier.
Microneedling procedures are beneficial to assist in reducing the signs of aging, improving the appearance of:
- wrinkles & fine lines
- acne scars
- hyperpigmentation/sun damage
- large pores
- sagging skin
- stretch marks
- improves tone and texture of skin
- rejuvenates skin
Here at The Vein Clinic & Medical Aesthetics patient care is at the top of our list and that is why we offer micro-needling with the SkinPen Precision. The SkinPen Precision system is the only Class II, FDA cleared micro-needling device in the U.S. SkinPen’s variable needle depth allows for maximum versatility, making it safe and effective to use on many parts of the body, including the face, neck and décolletage.
The Benefits of Your SkinPen® Microneedling Procedure Include:
- Minimally invasive procedure performed in-office with little, to no recovery time
- Noticeable results in less than a day
- Safe for all skin types, light to dark
- Effective on all body parts, including face, neck and décolletage
- Post-procedure protocol for optimal results
- Ideal anytime of the year
Patients may notice healthier looking skin immediately. However, the natural repair process of your own skin continues to progress through the course of several weeks. Damage that has occurred over an extensive period of time won’t disappear immediately. You may not see the final result for up to six months following your final session. Results can be enhanced by the use of PRP during your micro-needling treatment session. Platelet Rich Plasma (PRP) is produced from an individual’s own blood. PRP contains highly concentrated amounts of natural growth factors and other cytokines that promote the regeneration process of soft tissues. The PRP is applied directly to the channels that were created from the micro-needling to further stimulate the natural healing process and creation of collagen
The total healing time depends on each individual patient. Most patients have some slight swelling and redness/pinkness (like a mild sunburn) for two-to-four days. Some patients may heal completely in 24 hours.
Patients may notice healthier looking skin immediately. However, the natural repair process of your own skin continues to progress through the course of several weeks. Damage that has occurred over an extensive period of time won’t disappear immediately. You may not see the final result for up to six months following your final session. Results can be enhanced by the use of PRP during your micro-needling treatment session.
The number of procedures required will be determined upon your individual procedure goals and the overall health of your skin. Most patients receive a series of three procedures spaced about four weeks apart. We will develop a procedure and maintenance plan specific to you to help maintain the rejuvenating effects.
Patients typically can resume their normal makeup regimen as early as 24 hours after the treatment, depending on the area and type of procedure performed
*Individual results will vary.
Before and After Care for Micro-needling
If you have decided to opt for Micro-needling, there are several ways that you can ensure the end-result reaches its full potential. A common mistake of those undergoing this procedure is the lack of understanding towards providing the skin with the necessary before and after care. Luckily, we’ve put together a few tips on how to prep for your treatment and to achieve the best outcome possible (you can thank us later).
We are unable to treat you if you:
- Have experienced more than 2 hours of UV exposure to the treatment area within 1 week of treatment.
- Have experienced a sunburn or a tan within 2 weeks of treatment.
- Are on a long-term antibiotic which may cause photosensitivity
- Have used Accutane in the past 6 months
- Are pregnant
- Avoid UV exposure 7 days prior to your treatment and use a sub block with an SPF 30+ with zinc oxide UVA/UVB protection.
- If you have experienced a sunburn or have a tan you must wait 2 weeks before being treated to avoid any possible skin damage.
- Avoid sunless tanning products 7 days prior to your treatment. It is recommended that you exfoliate the area to remove any residual color.
- Stop taking blood thinning medications (Vit E, ibuprofen, fish oil, Aleve, Advil) 1 week prior to treatment
- Avoid chemical peels, botox/fillers, micro-needling and/or other laser procedures in the area to be treated for 2 weeks prior and two weeks after your micro-needling treatment.
- If you are prone to cold sores, it is recommended to take an anti-viral medication (such as Valtrex) prior to your treatment. Clients with active cold sores will not be treated.
What to be expected:
Day 1: Skin will be slightly flushed or red after treatment, depending on the intensity of the treatment. Pinpoint bleeding may occur. Do not apply makeup for at least 24 hours.
Day 2: A red or pink hue persists like a moderate sunburn. Swelling and slight bruising may be more noticeable on the second day. Minor scratches may be visible. Apply moisturizer as needed.
Day 3: Skin can be pink or normal color. Swelling subsides. The skin can feel dry or feel tight. Although rare, a slight outbreak of acne or milia (tiny white bumps) is possible. Light peeling usually occurs in about three days and will be replaced with brand new skin.
- Wash with a gentle cleanser using your fingers only. Gently massage the face with lukewarm water. Lightly remove serum and other debris such as dried blood. Do not scrub, use a wash cloth, or a Clarisonic brush. Cleanse areas treated twice a day. Do not use physical or chemical exfoliating products for 72 hours.
- After Care Enzyme Gel may be applied following treatment for comfort. If neck or décolletage are treated, the redness might last slightly longer.
- Apply 1 % Hydrocortisone cream or Benadryl spray or gel on treated areas to reduce itching or redness.
- Continue taking Arnica Montana (if recommended) and/or eating fresh pineapple up to 7 days after each treatment to decrease bruising and inflammation.
- Avoid exposure to heat (hot baths, hot tubs, saunas or excessive sweating for the first 24 hours post treatment).
- Avoid any additional laser treatments or chemical procedures on the treated area for at least 2 weeks post-treatment or until healing has occurred.
- Avoid extended UV exposure for 7 days post-treatment. Using a broad-spectrum UVA/UVB SPF 30 or higher is recommended preferably with zinc oxide.
- After 2-3 days patients can return to regular skin care products or as soon as it is comfortable to do so. Avoid waxing, facials, injectables or any other skin care procedures 2-4 weeks after treatment
- New cell regeneration requires 6-8 8 oz glasses of water a day (if you already drink that-increase by 2 glasses)
- If skin becomes painful, swollen, red or inflamed, please notify us immediately at 844-808-3467 as this may represent an infection or allergic reaction that may require treatment.
By completing the full treatment schedule at the intervals recommended by your provider you can ensure that you will achieve the best results!